I haven't seen an issue describing this. Something like this was available
in the SOLR-236 patches, but never got committed.
I started to create a second pass collector that counts the distinct values
of a particular field for the top N groups in LUCENE-3444.

I think there might be a need for a more general approach for this kind of
functionality that uses the ValueSource concept in the queries module.

Martijn