Hi Steve.

> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Expected hexadecimal seed: random

This is another difference -- forgot about it, apologies. I chose not
to have magic constants for seed. An empty seed (empty string) or an
undefined property means the seed should be random.

> Assuming a value will always be passed in for tests.seed, would the empty
> string work?

Yes, it should work just fine.

I didn't mention it but there is actually an equivalent of <junit4>
task as a maven plugin... it basically redirects to the ant-plugin but
has a maven-like facade for passing the basic set of properties. I
don't think it makes such a big difference for maven build - we can
stick to surefire. Let me know if you'd like to try that other plugin
though   -- an example of a maven pom using it is here:

https://github.com/carrotsearch/randomizedtesting/blob/master/examples/maven/pom.xml

> I don't know how enable pass-through user-specified-sysprops for surefire and
> also *not* specify sysprops when the user has not specified them - do you?

No, I have no idea if this is possible.

> Alternatively, would it be possible to re-enable "random" as a valid value
> for tests.seed?

I'd rather not (for reasons above) but if it's a really painful change
then I can put it on the agenda and support, sure.

Dawid