Robert Chapman ported Spatial to Lucene.NET, shown here in this issue:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENENET-199.  DIGY only committed
the patch, and the only thing I've seen Prescott do was to
modify/apply LUCENENET-431 to trunk from 2.9.4g.  Spatial, along with the
rest of Contrib, was barely touched since Lucene.NET was resurrected into
the incubator.  Most, if not all, of the code is the exact same as the
patch contributed by Robert, which itself differed a decent amount from the
java code, so much of the reasons why it wasn't an exact port are either
lost, or the more likely case, never answered.

As far as I'm concerned, I have no qualms with you rewriting the thing from
scratch, if you wanted to pursue a more direct port from the java code.
 Aside from the original port which had many divergences from java, the
only other issue applied to spatial is LUCENENET-431, which would be easy
to include.

Thanks,
Christopher