Hi,

Thanks for your input. One citation from your report:

"These types of searches are uncommon, and thus programmers don't optimize
for this case. Lucene, for example, has the ability to filter search results
using date-ranges, but it is a slow, naive algorithm implemented through
lexographic range searching on a custom field. Which is a user level hack
that works ineffectively. There are no known other ways of performing a date
range search."

Since Lucene 2.9 / Solr 1.4, Lucene can handle numerical ranges without "a
slow, naive algorithm", see NumericRangeQuery and NumericField. As every
date can be represented as a number (e.g. year as integer, or milliseconds
since 1970 as long,...), date searches can be done easily with Lucene (and
very fast, because the intersection between the NumericRangeQuery and the
TermQuery are done using ConjunctionScorer which does *not* naivly iterate
the postings).

Did you consider this in your implementation?

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen