I trying to split the query into multiple subqueries
(LocalSolrQueryRequest) in my custom handler and call SearchHandler's
handleRequestBody on each of these LocalSolrQueryRequests. Its sort of a
query chaining. I am planning to just run a search using queryComponent. I
will have a threshold parameter. The first query that passes that threshold
could be returned. Its a lot more flexible than that but I am just talking
about its implementation perspective. In terms of implementation, does that
sound ok?

P.S: I am trying to implement something along this lines..
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1093.. Instead of processing
them in batch, I am running one by one and its sort of a query chaining.