On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidworks.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Dawid Weiss
> <dawid.we...@cs.put.poznan.pl> wrote:
>> 2) I think Solr emits a LOT of logging information to the console. I
>> don't know if all of it is really useful -- I doubt it, really.
>>
>> The solutions I see are simple -- disable the tests that fail 3-5
>> times and we still don't know what causes the problem. Disable them
>> and file a JIRA issue.
>
> Another option is to redirect solr fails to a different mailing list
> that only those that care about solr development can follow.

I don't think splintering the dev community is healthy.

What I really want is for the tests (or the bugs in Solr/Lucene
causing the test failures) to be fixed, for a Solr dev who understands
the test to dig into it.

> Tests that fail a small percent of the time are still hugely valuable
> (i.e. when they fail for a different reason than usual, or they start
> failing much more often).  Simply disabling them is far worse for the
> project.

I  agree, for tests that don't fail frequently.  This is the
power/purpose of having a test.

The problem is certain Solr tests fail very frequently and nobody
jumps on those failures / we become complacent: such failures quickly
stop being helpful.  I know Mark has jumped on some of the test
failures (thank you!), but he's only one person and we still have
certain Solr tests failing frequently.

This really reflects a deeper problem: Solr doesn't have enough dev
coverage, or devs that have time/itch/energy to dig into hard test
failures.  When a test fails devs should be eager to fix it.  That's
the polar opposite of Solr's failures today.

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com