Thanks, but I was under the impression that there was a release of 1.7 that did not work properly with Lucene. Or, was there a workaround in a subsequent release of Lucene so that Lucene/Solr (3.6, 3.6.1, 4.0, 5.0) now works with even that early Java 7 release that failed with earlier releases of Lucene/Solr?

-- Jack Krupansky
-----Original Message----- From: Robert Muir
Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:45 AM
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is it safe to upgrade to Oracle Java 7u7 for Lucene/Solr development and use?

BUILD.txt:

Lucene Build Instructions

Basic steps:
 0) Install JDK 1.6 (or greater)

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Jack Krupansky
<j...@basetechnology.com> wrote:
Okay, that was the one place I hadn’t looked. Thanks. Still, it seems to me
that a release should clearly state what it requires, and there is no
mention in the 4.0 text files what Java versions are supported, other than
the ambiguous references I mentioned. I mean, if someone is starting out
with 4.0, why should they have to read the release notes for 3.6??

-- Jack Krupansky