We have an official git mirror for the project, though -
git.apache.org/lucene-solr.  So if people want to use git to collaborate, they
can clone that repository and create branches there.

I much prefer git to svn - I use staged adds, rebases and stashes all the time
- but anyone can currently use that by setting up a git-svn bridge.  I'm not
sure we gain anything except headaches by migrating the entire repo.