> Well, mkdirs() does state that it returns true iff all path components were
> created, false otherwise. It doesn't say anything about atomicity, which
> makes me nervous ...

I'd assume it's the filesystem that guarantees this. Or so I hope.

> But if others think that's fine, then this will be more resilient to
> multiple JVMs sharing the same temp.dir.

But this should never be the case -- we're physically splitting cwd's
of all forked JVMs and any temporary folders should be created inside
those (the security manager and Uwe are making sure you can't write
out of your assigned directory)?

D.