Solr is in a different scenario though - the primary use case is to
run as a server.   The majority of the java code is implementation to
support that.  I personally don't refer to javadoc (by itself) during
development - so normal comments work just as well.  Documentation of
methods should be on an as-needed basis, not mandated everywhere.

-Yonik
http://lucidworks.com