See SOLR-4557 for the background, but here's the short form:

TestCoreContainer.testReload just starts up 4 threads, each of which does a
reload on collection1 then quits. Without going too far astray, there is
one leaked thread for every thread testReload uses.....

Problem is that it's _not_ the thread that testReload actually fires off, I
don't know where it's coming from. I've looked at the corecontainer code
and nothing's jumping out at me.

Anyone have any clues?

I've attached a patch to SOLR-4557, without this patch the test doesn't
fail regularly, although it did fail on one of the build machines which is
why I started looking at it. I'm being compulsive here because I'm pretty
sure this has been broken for a while, but we were being saved by throwing
an exception.