If you are looking for the areas of a new algorithms missing, I think Ted
recently published a list of things sought after.

I for myself would very much like to see SVM things done at scale. Another
feature request from me is hierarchical ckustering, if you like a new
challenge.

The challenge for any new algorithm is to figure a parallelization
technique that is usually not a part of a previously publicized matter. So
if you prefer a ground up work, be prepared to do some of that heavy
lifting first and have it reviewed.

What we found out(ok, let me speak for myself, i found out) is that the
best strategies are being created in collaboration and review. Having new
unique angles at the problem from different people creates most balanced
solution, although the actual coding jira task is usually driven by a
single contributor, subject to a subsequent review. I usually try to get
some assurance I am heading in the right direction first.

E.g. 817 would benefit greatly if somebody could double check my math (in
particular, median propagation under BB' part) and perhaps even simulate it
in matlab (something that you seem to be very skillful at). You already
helped me a lot with your simulation of m Omega.

Thanks.