In case this thread is still a good place to reply with an offer to help,
I'd love to pitch in.  I have built a few production recommenders, most
recently using Mahout at a large retailer along with my partner where we
used ALS, with a pipeline of transforming transactions in XML into vectors
using Pig, running them through Mahout, and writing to Cassandra.  I've
also used Hadoop extensively and am experienced writing non-trivial UDF
libraries for Pig, so I am comfortable in that world.

Where to start?  Do you guys have bugs ranked in priority?

Thanks
Andrew