So I checked on these.  The non-trivial issues with replacing Commons Math
include:

- Poisson and negative binomial distributions.  This would be several hours
work to write and test (we have Colt-inherited negative binomial
distribution, but it takes no longer to write a new one than to test an old
one).

- random number generators.  This is about and hour or two of work to pull
the MersenneTwister implementation into our code.

- next prime number finder.  Not a big deal to replicate, but it would take
a few hours to do.

- quadrature.  We use an adaptive integration routine to check distribution
properties.  This, again, would take a few hours to replace.

I really don't see the benefit to this work.