It would be super important to check whether the examples on the website still work:

https://mahout.apache.org/users/clustering/clustering-of-synthetic-control-data.html

https://mahout.apache.org/users/classification/wikipedia-bayes-example.html

https://mahout.apache.org/users/clustering/twenty-newsgroups.html

https://mahout.apache.org/users/classification/breiman-example.html

Another task would be to create an intro for an item-based recommender and one that uses matrix factorization.

Best,
Sebastian

PS: If you intend to work one of these, please open a jira issue for that.