I’m confused about the workflow.

It looks like you keep two local repos one pointed to your fork on github, the
other to git-wip-us. Do your work on your repo (set git-wip-us as upstream to
get updates) and when you want to merge do “git request-pull branch
url-to-git-wip-us". This will package an uber patch from your repo and
communicate with the destination server (I assume). But how do you receive the
notification and respond?

I’ve never responded to a PR outside of Github, and there was no notification
that the PR had been issued outside of the Github UI.