Thejas,

A good starter task would be to gather the discussions about the new
recommendation system in Scala and write up a tutorial for using it.

Writing new bindings in the math section requires a bit of advanced
knowledge of Scala and an ability to read some subtle code.  Probably not
the best starting point.