Hi Folk & Masters,

My name is *NASa*. I am now working for an e-commerce B2C company in China,
dealing with Transaction Process development in C++ & Java on Linux
environment.

As you know, *Recommender System* is quite valuable and important to an
e-commerce online shopping website like Amazon. I was told and required to
design and implement a Recommender System which can bring some value to my
Company. Our System is based on C++ codes. So I was searching for an robust
Machine Learning framework in C++ which can help me to easily implement a
Recommender System. I did not find any one which can satisfy my
requirements, but only some C++ math libraries.

Our system is based on an internal distributed frameworks like RPC and DB
access on Linux environment based on C++ programming language. But I find
it is really inconvenient to implement a Recommender System in C++ from
zero without distributed computing library supporting, like
implementing *Collaborative
Filtering* with SVD in a distributed computing way. So I am trying to find
a framework/library with is designed based on Distributed-System. There I
come to *Mahout*.

I wish I can build a library that can help people easily and quickly build
up a Recommender System based on Distributed System and also use the
Machine Learning Algorithms in distributed way. Apache has many amazing
projects which can help people to build up robust distributed system
easily. So I am moving to using “Java” environment.

I am new to *Mahout* and *Hadoop*, *Spark*, *Scala* and I learned Andrew
Ng’s “Machine Learning” from Coursera
<https://www.coursera.org/learn/machine-learning/home/welcome>. So I have
the basic knowledge of Machine Learning, and now I am keeping forward to *Deep
Learning* and *Convex Optimization*, some other Mathematical Optimization
implementation. I am now still learning and getting famiIiar with Mahout. I
hope I can contribute some codes to Mahout in the early future with
learning by coding and coding by learning.
NASa 2016/05/20
​