i already looked. my main concern is that it meddles with spark interpreter
code too much which may create friction with spark interpreters in future.
it may be hard to have two products integration code coherent in one
component (in this case, the same interpreter class/file). I don't want to
put this comment to zeppelin discussion, but internally i think it should
be a concern for us.

Is it possible to have a standalone mahout-spark interpreter but use the
same spark configuration as configured for spark interpreter? If yes, i
would very much like not to have spark-alone and spark+mahout code
intermingled in same interpreter class.

visually, it probably also would be preferable to have a block that would
require boiler of something like

%spark.mahout

... blah ....