ah cool this seems to be working now.  @akm I sent my ~/.m2/settings.xml file.
The first i sent out wazs a mistake while editing it.  the second should work.
I figured I might as well commit it to the repo, for a couple of reasons...

A. it is an easy way for users to change a release thier local repository
B. I have need to "small down" some matrices.  I'd think i'll ba able to do it
here, and would like  to.  E.g. create a GPU matrix on a small device, and be
able to move it to a matrix and/or directly to a mahout vector -> matrix ->
DRM.  and the reverse.  its not something that i'll be able to do right away,
though i do have a proposal for the team that I'd like to bring up.