The connector itself encodes binary documents and sends them to ES,
purportedly for the mapper attachment to process and convert to text.  The
test used to exercise that.

Perhaps it's worth reviewing the connector code itself to see what is
outdated/legacy, and only test the parts that are not outdated?

Specifically, my concern is that we need to support binary document
transmission to ES, and ES obviously needs to handle those for the
integration to work properly.

Karl