Hi Daniel,

I didn't read all the thead, as Jacqueline point it, this discussion seems like Philip Glass music, very repetitive ;)

[...]

Promouncing "OpenOffice.org" is very cumbersome for me. It might not be for your friend, but for many people it is. Furthermore, it hurts branding to use a name that encourages people to call the product by a different name.

Just call it OOo :) You know what IBM means for example, do you call it International Business Machines when you're speaking about that company ? This is the same for OpenOffice.org and a lot of branding around. Recognizing it by its colours, its seagulls or it's acronym will be equal and won't confuse anybody.

Another note on the questions thing. When you put up an advertisement you don't have much opportunity to ask questions. Not *all* our marketing is by word of mouth, and even when it is, we don't always have a big lump of time to explain why we picked such an akward name. And the time I *do* have I'd rather spend explaining why it's good and why the listener may be interested in trying it. And it is counter productive to expect every single listener to be primarily motivated by the org part.

May be not primarily, but on a second time yes, and this .org part is really significant for our community and our product.

my 2 CFA :)
Kind regards
Sophie

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.6 - Release Date: 07/02/2005