Eric wrote:

>The prime effective operating size of a team is 5-8 members; and
that's not anecdotal.

Very true.

The last time I looked OOoAuthors had over a 100 people subscribed.  I
don't know how many of them have contributed material. A lot more have
reviewed material, than written original material.

That is what I mean by "large team".

Daniel has managed to effectively get that many people to work
together, to create a product that everybody likes.

That is what I mean by "successfully run a large team".

Are there disagreements in OOoAuthors?  Sure. Some of them have been
pretty big.  All have been handled pretty well.

> I submit that the converse is true.  Anyone that can run a large team
> (employees or volunteers)

A small team of employees, yes.

Volunteers, That is going to be iffy.  The rewards for volunteers are
_radically_ different for employees.

That said, a good manager will run a team of employees as if they were
volunteers, for maximum productivity.  And phrase all requests for
projects to be done, in terms of where the individual is, on their
(the employee's)  level of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

xan

jonathon
--
Want a Gmail account?