On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 11:15 -0400, Chad Smith wrote:
> Ian, Since OOo came out, like 5 years ago, virtually *every*
> computer-related cost has dropped.  I think you are giving *FAR* too
> much credit to OOo.  I mean, 5 years ago, I couldn't buy a 2 GHz +
> machine for less than $2000, now I can get one for like $300.  Is that
> because of OOo?

I'm not an expert on the education market - although Ian is - but there
is certainly very strong evidence that OOo is forcing down MS prices in
the emerging markets. Two examples:

Thailand's ICT Peoples PC Project, 2003 - Linux / OOo based. MS
responded with a special Thai version of MS-Windows and MS-Office for
1500 Baht.

Malaysia's PC Gemilang Project, 2004 - Linux / OOo based. MS responded
with a Bahasa Malaysia version of XP and Works Suite for 150 Ringgit.

OOo has a double hit on MS:

OOo is a straight competitor for MS-Office for MS-Windows users;
Ooo also provides Linux with a full featured, MS-Office file-compatible
office suite for the first time, so Linux becomes a viable competitor to
MS-Windows for desktop users.

It is not surprising that MS will respond by trying to segment the
market and drop prices at the bottom end.

John