Ian Lynch wrote:

Any responses to arguments set forth by Microsoft, et. al., should avoid the emotional dialogue, and focus on the technical merits of Mass' decision.

Thank you Don and Ian for your comments...

Technical or economic merits. While MS might say it will cost MA to
retrain staff, this is a one off short term investment for a long term
gain.
As we know, the commitment to training is not nearly as great as others make it (which explains the slowness at many of our OOo training business [Ian needs not confirm]). MA is already competent with OOo and has full view of the scope of the training and adjustment process, and if you asked them off the record they would grin and be silent. The case study about their migration will be a Tipping Point.

Companies and governments often spend money up front to invest in
the future so this is not different or unusual. MS have also said that
they will respond to customer demand so here is the opportunity to show
they mean it. They spend a lot on market research so asking large
corporate and government customers if they would prefer MS to
standardise on ODF would be pretty easy to do.

They're done.  Over.

The FUD will be loud and it (we) will embarass them, because people get this now.