On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 20:43 -0400, Anthony Long wrote:
> This is roughly $53/copy the University paid, based on the number of
> students.  I wonder how we can offer more value than Microsoft Office.

This price decline is not unexpected in a mature product. I would expect
to see MS-Office included "free" as part of MS-Windows within the next
five years. Meanwhile MS will leverage their dominance of the office
market to embed their next generation of revenue generating products -
Dynamics? - just as they used MS-Windows to corner the office market.

This is not a problem for us. IE is "free" with MS-Windows, but people
choose Firefox - because it is a better product. If we continue to build
"the leading international office suite that will run on all major
platforms" then OOo will be visibly a better product.

What's cool about this is that MS's product manager for IE is now going
cap in hand to MS's Chair-thrower-in-chief for development funding to
keep up with Firefox, with no prospect of getting any revenue from
customers in return. I'd like to see a transcript of *that*
conversation.

> What pains are we missing in large buys like this at the enterprise
> level?  Let's face it -- MS Office is the standard, no matter how closed
> it is.  As it stands now, it's more of a headache for a large enterprise
> to switch to OOo because of all the incompatibilities.  It probably
> costs more to migrate than to get another copy of MSO for the staff,
> plus that copy of MSO is going to return leaps and bounds of revenue for
> the company, and they know the files will work with their existing stuff
> and that people will know how to use the program because everyone else
> in the world does.

In the SMP we acknowledged that migration is a pain, and it's hard to
find compelling reasons for an established MS-Office user to switch.
However, we do have a compelling case for users at a 'trigger point' -
see http://ooosmp.homelinux.org/GoalsandObjectives/UsageGoals - and this
is where we will see growth. It will not be long before English language
users become a minority of OOo users - maybe we'll then need an English
NL project ;-)

OOo Marketing must continue to define OOo by what it is, not by the fact
that it-isn't-Microsoft.

John