Hello

I am beginning to digest and act on some of the feedback from what is
considered by many, the most successful OOoCon ever :)

Also, it is nearly a year since I posted to this and other OOo lists
about Friends of OpenOffice.org (FOOo). See:
http://marketing.openoffice.org/servlets/ReadMsg?list=dev&msgNo=18223 If
you browse this thread, you will see that the conversation developed
from there.

I think it is time we did something about FOOo by following up some of
the comments from OOoCon and previous discussion about improved
communication and assisting people to let others know what they are
doing, i.e. how they are contributing to OpenOffice.org.

Friends of OpenOffice.org are essentially advocates. If you look at page
six in my presentation
(http://marketing.openoffice.org/ooocon2004/presentations/thursday/CDMarketing.pdf)
you will see that an advocate is someone that is willing to encourage
others to obtain OpenOffice.org, that is, strongly recommend.

I would like to encourage and support our advocates or friends, and
encourage other first time visitors and end-users of OpenOffice.org to
take the steps to becoming an advocate.

I have discussed a number of activities with you previously, but the one
common thread is that we don't often know what you our friends are
doing. Some of us have blogs, some subscribe to lists and discuss issues
there, but I know if I want to find the best person to say tell me about
mail merge for example, I hunt through archived mail and conference
papers to try and remember the person I want to contact.

To initiate FOOo, I would like to suggest that we begin to discuss it
more on [EMAIL PROTECTED], but move the discussion to a new list so that new
friends can join us and contribute their ideas. Also, there will be some
more activities and tasks that will be posted here shortly as we lead up
to the launch of 2.0. So it may get a little busy.

As a first FOOo activity, I would like to invite friends to create a
wiki page to let us know how they are using OpenOffice.org, if they are
contributing to OpenOffice.org - where and how, and if they have
assisted a friend or colleague, group or organisation to use
OpenOffice.org, what were the difficulties and highlights of the experience.

Secondly, collate or create information to assist people new to
OpenOffice.org and other OSS to find and integrate the other
applications they need on their computer. For example, assist people to
find an alternative email programme, assist them to find support and
help on these programmes by introducing them to other projects and
communities. Be a friend and introduce them to other people :)

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
Lead, OpenOffice.org Marketing Project