On Fri, 07 Oct 2005 08:30:31 +0100, Jacqueline McNally <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

China Awards Six-Figure Desktop Linux Rollout
[Tom Dunlap, Yahoo News, 5 Oct 2005]
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20051006/tc_cmp/171203414

"A Chinese software vendor has won a contract to deliver one of the nation's biggest Linux deployments to date, including more than 140,000 desktop PCs."

[...]

"Sun Wah Linux will install RAYS LX, its Debian-based Linux workstation distro, as the default operating system on the desktop PCs. . According to Minou Nguyen, a U.S.-based Sun Wah Linux spokesperson, although the project at one time specified Microsoft Windows as the desktop OS, Sun Wah "managed to turn these desktops into dual-boot machines with RAYS LX as the preferred loading OS.""

For informtion about RAYS LX, see:
http://www.sw-linux.com/en/scripts/main/viewitem.php?unitemid=8148461108981512&itemid=8656821109090776&showid=products&catid=platforms

"Applications

     * OpenOffice.org
     * Mozilla web browser
     * Mozilla email client
     * GGV Postscript viewer
     * gThumb photo album
     * GIMP image manipulation program
     * BeepMedia audio player
     * Totem video player"

I'm not sure if Pui-Lam is still subscribed to this list, so have cc'd to see if he has any other information about the roll-out.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally
Lead, OpenOffice.org Marketing Project

I wonder what happened with that news about Sun hiring half of china to produce a massive ammount of JDS to the market about a year ago.

http://software.itmanagersjournal.com/article.pl?sid=03/11/18/020210&mode=thread&tid=67&tid=74
--
Alexandro Colorado
CoLeader of OpenOffice.org ES