On 11/17/05, Alexandro Colorado <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Interesting enough is better for the blind people to have ODF in principle
> since the ground base technology for readers is VoiceXML which as you
> notice is XML. The use of XSLT to transform ODF to VXML is much easier
> that pass binary to voice.

Principle and practice are two totally different things. JAWS is built for
MSO on Windows, and that's it. There is no replacement for JAWS. Granted,
JAWS does work somewhat with OOo, but not completely, and only on Windows.

This is not some "MS rules" rant, either. Since JAWS is not writen by MS. It
just works with what people have, and most people have Windows and most
people have MSO. I'm sure the makers of JAWS would support OOo and ODF and
Linux, even, if the market was there. Now, the MS speech thing is cool, and
I don't know if such a thing exists on Linux (granted - I haven't bothered
to look). So MS does have something to do with it, but JAWS is far more than
a text reader.

What does this means for the user. That they need to buy MSO and a Reader
> on top to achieve what a stand alone reader can get with a n internal
> engine that accepts the ODF like a native document.

Where is this reader? And how does this reader help them create ODF
documents and edit exisiting ODF files? Does it read the buttons in OOo for
them?

This is the same thing for peopl that doesnt have X on their linux
> machine, by generating OOo PDF thy can simply put use 'less' on the
> command linee and they will get the content on stout. This means that the
> data is much more accesible.

I agree, an open format, especially an XML based one, *Should* be more
accessible - but, it's not. JAWS reevents itself with each edition of MS
Office, because *that* is what most people use.

--
- Chad Smith
http://www.gimpshop.net/