Chad Smith wrote:

This is a good thing, though, right? I mean, people have been saying that if
MS would only support ODF, everything would be just fine. So if MS comes up
with an XML-based truly Open Standard (approved by ISO), then OOo could use
it, MSO could use it, KOffice could use it, AbiWord could use it,
WordPerfect could use it, etc. etc. etc. - and all would open 100% right, as
long as the people making the software read and followed the ISO-approved
Open Standard. Is that a correct statement? So why would it matter if ODF or
MSO-OpenXML, (or whatever it will be called) gets approved by ISO? If it's
open, it's open, right?

What could MS do that would make this a bad thing? That's what I'm trying to
get at.

MS does not do truly open standards. Most likely, what MS is planning to do is submit their existing XML as an "open standard" and then, in their applications, utilize the "open standard" and then add proprietary information to it when the application saves. That way, MS Office can open everyone else's files reliably but nobody else can open MS Office files reliably, even though they are "based on the open standard." It's the same game they played with HTML standards. Nothing new.

--
Steven Shelton
Twilight Media & Design