Count me a skeptic. The article is thin on detail.

If I were to guess, I'd say they are following their old vaporware strategy: announce early to hobble the mindshare growth of a competitor, and then never deliver. The article states it will be at least 18 months before this is released! And, who is ECMA anyway?

"Microsoft will submit its Office file formats to Ecma International, the standards body, which will develop the documentation and make it available to the industry. The move is being supported by a number of organisations including Apple Computer, Barclays Capital, BP, Intel and Toshiba.

Within about 18 months, customers, competitors and developers should be able to download detailed files from Ecma on how to create a Microsoft Word, Powerpoint or Excel document."