From: Ciaran Farrell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 5:34 AM
To: dev@marketing.openoffice.org
Subject: Re: [Marketing] CompareOffice - another OOo clone...

> Just to make the list a little bit longer, here's another OOo clone
> packaged with manuals and sold:
>
> http://www.comparesoft.com/compareoffice.html

> If it is based on the OpenOffice.org 2.0 source code then it is under the
>LGPL. It is interesting to see if they have the right license for the
>suite.

>The most enjoyable greetings

I had a quick look at the comparesoft website - while there is no indication

anywhere on the website, that the products being sold are actually open
source, or that the source code is available, I found this in the "Terms of
Use" - note that reproduction and dissemination rights are restricted unless

"expressly stated in CompareSoft products licensed under the GPL or MPL". It

might be splitting straws, but as far as I know OOo is neither under the GPL

nor is it under the MPL - which means that, theoretically, one needs
CompareSoft permission to redistrubate it.

7.1 The content available through the Website is the property of CompareSoft

or its licensors and is protected by copyright and other intellectual
property laws. Content received through the Website may be used and played
for your personal, non-commercial use only. You agree not to reproduce,
retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, broadcast, make available to
third
parties or circulate the content received through the Website to anyone or
exploit any such content for commercial or noncommercial purposes without
the
express prior written consent of CompareSoft, unless expressly stated in
CompareSoft products licensed under the GPL or Mozilla Public Licenses. You
agree to indemnify and hold harmless CompareSoft for your failure to comply
with this Section 7.1.

I also found this under the "Licensing" link:

We'll let you in on our little secret...

For the home: CompareSoft will work on all of your home computers.

For the office: CompareSoft is bundled to work across the group of office
computers.

All CompareSoft products come with an open license; this means that you can
use one copy (i.e., one install CD) for as many computers as you need!
That's
right, you buy once and install them anywhere. In addition, most CompareSoft

products come with both Windows XP and Macintosh OS X versions in the same
package!

Where can you take advantage of this liberal license policy? CompareSoft
products can be bought securely right here on our website!

I'm not sure if they ship a copy of the LGPL with their software, but on the

website, it sure isn't easy to find reference to it, or a copy of it

--
Ciaran Farrell