On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Alex Fisher wrote:
[snip]
They spend it on research and development for sure... Researching the market,
and developing their marketing ploys, researching their competitors patent
portfolio, and developing their own.... The term "Research and Development"
can mean anything you want it to (a bit like statistics, really).
[snip]

Then it will be important for Don's article to at least address the divergence between the definition MS uses and the definition used by everybody else. A harder, but maybe with more results would be to find out how much of the mythical $5bn MS is really spending on R&D.

On the humorous side of things maybe the dictionaries distributed with MS product include the MS definitions? e.g.

        Last night two guys tried to innovate my wallet near the Greyhound
        station.
or
        I couldn't get extra tickets to the game because scalpers we
        researching and developing them for three times the original price.
or
        Prisma had a full page study in the paper about a 15%
        discount next Saturday.
or
        When the drive shaft on my car shattered, it cost me 1200 to get
        that feature repaired.  That car is getting so many features
        these days it's probably time to buy a new one.

-Lars
Lars Nooden ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
        Software patents endanger the legal certainty of software.
        Keep them out of the EU by writing your MEP, keep the market open.