Finn Gruwier Larsen schreef:

Steven Pauwels skrev:

Here is a thing I would like to discuss with all involved in marketing: giving the product another name. (.org in a name is confusing, we can not use OpenOffice without .org, there is a fine example: Mozilla-->Firefox) Please let me know what you think and how you feel about the product and community sharing the same name.

Hi Steven,

Since you are new to the project, you are of course not aware of earlier discussions.

I have twice proposed a name change on this list. Both times many people agreed that "OpenOffice.org" is a stupid name (which is the reason why it is in fact never used anywhere else than on the official website). But some expressed that they thought it is a good name, though, as I remember it, most comments were positive to a name change. But - nothing happened. People got tired of discussing the issue, so the discussion stopped. As I see it, that's in fact excatly the kind of thing that goes on most of the time on this list: One person starts a thread by proposing something. Some say "Yes, great." Some say "No, it won't work." And then, after some time, the thread just fades out.

I don't know what to do about this situation. I think we have a problem with decision-making.

Finn

Hi Finn,

So how  is it called elsewhere then :)? Curious...

I'll try and find any earlier posts on name changing... I think it is a pro-contra situation and as a community as this one should be a democracy in terms of decission making, I think an announced vote with a closing date is the best way to decide what should happen... But: I know from experience that a well documented proposal works soooo fine to get people to make a decision... getting people excited about something...

Any suggestions on new names?

Steven P