peter beeching wrote:
> I recently purchased your open office Cd from Think all.com which was free to
> me apart from postage and packing. I was billed the postage and am pleased
> with the product. I today have been billed the sum of $49.90 from Think all
> for a free product. If you value the reputation you have may I suggest you
> stop this firm distributing your product for free then charging for it on the
> back of a free offer.

We are aware of the situation with ThinkAll, and I think there is a
consensus that ThinkAll's tactics probably constitute unfair trade
practices of the sort that are illegal in many (if not nearly all)
jurisdictions. ThinkAll has repeatedly been asked to stop engaging in
these practices, and has refused to do so (despite assurances that it
would).  My understanding is that they are located in Texas, and that
the Attorney General of that state has received numerous complaints
about them. What (if anything) has been done I cannot say. Where are you
located? I might be able to recommend a consumer lawyer who could
represent you in a claim against the company if their practices violate
your local laws. In some states, it's worth it to sue for even $50
because if you win, the defendant has to pay your attorney fees--thus
costing you nothing and costing them a bundle--and in some states you
can treble your damages. I think there's also a potential for a class
action suit here, which would make a lawyer more likely to take the
case. (And I should know!)

Having said all of that, there's really nothing the OpenOffice.org
community can really do about it: The upside of open source code is that
it's freely available for anyone to use pretty much any way they want.
The downside is that it's freely available for anyone to use pretty much
any way they want. Nothing in the licensing really addresses the manner
in which the product can be sold (at least, not in a way that I can see
would prohibit "subscription" sales, which is how ThinkAll classifies
their scheme). That might be something that should be addressed in the
next edition of the LGPL--a prohibition on using the code for fraud or
illegal purposes--but I don't recall seeing anything like that in the
existing license. Ergo, the OpenOffice.org community really has no cause
of action. The best bet to stop these kinds of shady dealings would be
to pursue an action on your own or as part of a class in a consumer
action. Such an action could both get you monetary damages and get an
injunction put into place that would bar them from engaging in these
kinds of tactics.

Best of luck, and I'm sorry to hear that you got taken in. From now on,
your best bet is to just download the product directly (and for free!)
from www.OpenOffice.org

Best regards,

--
Steven Shelton