Alex Thurgood wrote:
Obviously, as long as MS doesn't indicate which particular patents
might be infringed, there is no what we lawyers call "notice" under
US patent law, so officially, the Community doesn't yet know ;-).

IANALAYA, but it might be useful for the OOo (and Linux) developer community to be diligent and send a request for disclosure to Microsoft regarding the patent claims to show that the community is acting in good faith. If Microsoft does not reply, it fails in demonstrating good faith, which may lead to Microsoft losing any patent claims.

http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=234835&threshold=2&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=19136243

(I assume that the quote is from US law.)