On Fri, 2007-09-14 at 12:41 +0200, Frank Peters wrote:
> Jean Hollis Weber wrote:
> > Interesting article:
> >
> > "Open-source strategy: Documentation = dollars", by Matt Asay
> > http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9774567-16.html
> >
> > Here is a quote from the article:
> > "People don't visit a software company's website to read about
> > the executives. They visit the website to get information on the
> > software. If your website is light on that information, you're
> > killing sales, especially in an open-source software company."
>
> If only our sales people would understand that ;-)
>
> > I think it's especially relevant to the OOo website. IMO the
> > changes Frank has made to the Documentation Project's first page
> > (and his addition of the Getting Help page) have helped greatly
> > in making the Docs pages more useful for users.
> >
> > However, I still have issues with the emphasis on the first page
> > of the main OOo website.
>
> You are not alone. We need more focus on the user.

+1. The difficulty for a web site appealing to a wide range of different
interests is that it can't simultaneously satisfy them all. However,
that isn't a reason for satisfying none of them! A big prominent
download button is a no brainer but after that what would a casual user
want to know as opposed to established community members? The New User
link is the most important one on the page if we want new blood. The
information supplied there has two key issues to me. One is that its all
too dense with nothing to catch the eye and interest. Do I really want
to read through all that to find something I think is relevant to me?

OpenOffice.org is both a fully-featured office suite compatible with
leading office products, and a virtual community working through
OpenOffice.org's numerous projects. The community comes together at
www.openoffice.org to develop, support, and promote the use of
OpenOffice.org. For information on joining the OpenOffice.org community,
visit our Introduction page.

Why not

The OpenOffice.org Community is working to create the best possible
office software for YOU! If you work in education, business or at home
we can help and its entirely free.

Link education, business and home to compelling reasons that would
interest a casual reader further and try things out. Make the text much
bigger and use some graphics and colour. Compare to say
http://www.ubuntu.com/ for visual appeal.

Ian
--
New QCA Accredited IT Qualifications