On Fri, 2008-10-17 at 17:33 +0100, John McCreesh wrote:
> "Steve Ballmer has insisted that OpenOffice is a far better rival to
> Microsoft's Office than Google's applications suite"
> http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/microsoft-open-office-a-bigger-rival-than-google-apps-476243
>
> I wonder is he one of the over two million people who have downloaded
> OpenOffice.org since we released 3.0?

Possibly not him personally but it would be inconceivable that MS would
not take notice of OOo releases in great detail.

Google apps will only become a rival if Google put a lot more effort
into the Word Processor and Presentation software. The Spreadsheet is
much the best component. If they did produce an on-line WP with most of
the facilities of Word and Writer I think they would take a significant
share of the market.  Its a shame we can't do a web version of OOo - the
only way I could think to make that work would be thin client logins
like with Sun's Global desktop from a web browser but providing that as
a free service is a tall order. It would be an interesting experiment
though :-)

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications