On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 10:02 +0000, Richard Rothwell wrote:
> 2008/12/17 Ian Lynch <ian.ly...@zmsl.com>:
> > On Wed, 2008-12-17 at 14:54 +0530, Vikram Gaur wrote:
> >> Web version has limited future because of bandwidth. Google will take
> >> care of that.
> >
> > That is like saying MS will take care of the desktop for us!
> >
> > At the moment there are bandwidth limitations but they will gradually
> > ease and those that go into the market early will dominate just as MS
> > has done at the desktop. We need to look further ahead if we are serious
> > about long term survival.
> >
> >> Still if we want to compete with that we can convert openoffice.org to
> >> web version.
> >
> > Question is how? Who will take responsibility for doing it? Sun has the
> > technology with Global Desktop to offer thin client access to anyone
> > through a standard web browser. Question is where the revenue can be
> > generated to fund the servers etc. MS will be doing it from advertising
> > like Google.
>
> It may be that organisations will want to run their _own_ web based
> office suites.  That would offer security, etc.  A true FOSS web based
> office suite might well be rather popular.  It would mean that others
> could offer a hosted service in competition with the big boys - in the
> same way that Web hosting, etc is offered.

I think large hosting companies might offer it as value added to
customers. I get web mail with a choice of SquirrelMail, Horde and Cube
from my e-mail host. Why not a web hosting service that just happens to
provide web based office facilities for free? Probably needs marketing
to build a relationship with the biggest hosting providers.

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications