sophie wrote:
> For information, 55 000 laptops will be distributed to students and
> teachers in one department of France (Oise). They will be prepared with
> OpenOffice.org.

Tremendous.

> Unfortunately they will be under Vista, but they have a
> lot of free educational resources on them.

That part is an unmitigated disaster.  I run into students all the time
that got stuck with Vista on cheap-ass laptops.  It causes no end of
pain and disappointment for them.  Eventually either they end up
"finding" XP somewhere, something I don't condone either -- there is
never a legit excuse to allow Windows -- or they eventually end up
"dual" boot with Ubuntu or Fedora.  I put the dual in quotes because
once Linux is on there, MS Vista is seldom used -- it sucks to badly --
and eventually leaves the disk.

Here are some quick fixes for the Vista problems that will improve the
performance of OOo and other applications:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dualboot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first.htm
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot
http://apcmag.com/why_vistas_such_a_pain_to_dualboot.htm

There might be French equivalents of the above links somewhere.  With
care, we can avoid the suckitude of Vista dragging down legitimate
software.

> This operation is known as Ordi60 in France and we were waiting for the
> results since some time now. After USB Key in Ile de France (220 000),
> CDs in Auvergne (64 000), this is the third department to provide OOo to
> their students!

I remember the announcement of the USB key project.  What were the results?

> An article in French can be found here
> http://www.silicon.fr/fr/news/2009/01/23/55_000_collegiens_equipes_d_un_ordinateur_portable_dans_l_oise_

I've made a link from the Major OpenOffice.org Deployments wiki page, it
may need correcting:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Major_OpenOffice.org_Deployments#Europe

-Lars