Hi all,

More analysis on xmltoday.org...

"Will Oracle, now repository of Sun's intellectual property, find itself having to suppress Open Office because the storage formats (ISO standards all) are now in violation of Microsoft's patents?"

http://www.xmltoday.org/content/microsoft-patents-xml-word-processing-documents-sigh

And an analysis on cnet.com of the application dated 2004. With a response from Sam Hiser, marketing lead at that moment:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1013_3-5146581.html

I certainly would love to know that this is a non legal issue for OOo now and from now on and for ODF also. Prior art should've been proved in the process of application, not after the patent was granted.

To me, protecting by patents XML documents which include formatting and all sorts of stuff does not sound good, but maybe I am too paranoid when it comes to patents especially in this period of economic downturn when all companies see revenues dropping.

An amiable solution, if the patent affects a large portion of the industry including internet file formats is that xmltoday.org proposes:

"....or they will have to release the patent into the public trust, in the manner that companies such as IBM and Sun have done in the past. "

Best wishes,
Cristian

Malte Timmermann wrote:
I already thought that this sounds to be very similar to our "FlatXML"
format.

One difference is that our FlatXML IMHO can't keep all information that
the ODF zip storage can contain. Don't remember what, maybe doc specific
configuration? Not sure. For sure we can't digitally sign such documents.

But IIRC it can keep the XML stuff and the binary stuff base64 encoded,
including images and OLE.

Thoughts?

Mathias Bauer should have more correct information on this.

Malte.