Hello André, Bernhard

Le Sun, 27 Sep 2009 00:49:15 +0200,
Bernhard Dippold <bernh...@familie-dippold.at> a écrit :

> Hi André, all,
>
> thank you very much for this mail, giving a bit more background
> information on the necessity to raise public knowledge for the ODF
> file formats.
>
> IMHO this is not mainly a UX theme, but rather a topic for the
> Marketing Project. Therefore I'd like to continue this thread on the
> marketing dev list.
>
> It started with a GullFOSS blog by Lutz Hoeger:
> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/unified_odf_icons
> where Lutz described why the OOo document icons are being replaced by
> application independent icons containing a rectangle reading "ODF".
>
> We discuss these icons and possible drawbacks for the users on
> disc...@ux.ooo:
> http://ux.openoffice.org/servlets/BrowseList?listName=discuss&from=2283560&to=2283560&count=29&by=thread&first=1&windowSize=1000
>
> But the main question is: How can OOo help to raise ODF awareness in
> public?
>
> Introducing common icons for all the ODF applications is really a
> great idea, if supported not only by OOo and StarOffice, but by all
> other ODF applications too. And IMHO there must be a common marketing
> strategy among all the supporting applications.
>
> Do you think, this could work?
>
> What else can we do to enforce ODF position against Microsoft's OOXML?
>
> Please comment on André's mail, therefore I include it here in full
> length.
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard
>

> André Schnabel schrieb:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know we already have a thread on this - which holds very valuable
> > and constructive feedback about the icons.
> >
> > Anyway - I'd like to open a new thread to tell some thoughts, why
> > ODF icons are really useful, but the way we are going to introduce
> > this icons is (imho) the wrong way.
> >
> > I fortunately had the chance to talk face to face with Lutz on the
> > topic. This was really interesting (I forgot to get my dishes
> > although I was hungry and Lutz surely made his family wait quite a
> > while). I used some time to think about the issue - and just want
> > to share my thoughts (If I'm going the wrong direction, Lutz might
> > correct me).
> >
> > ODF is very important for OOo. The *Open* *Document* File format (to
> > spell the full words) is one of the key selling points, as it
> > ensures user's control on her files and contents, it ensures
> > interoperability and vendor independence. All these points belong
> > to the virtues of open source software.
> >
> > OpenOffice.org is one of (if not the) leading applications
> > supporting ODF. So you may ask,why we should focus on ODF with our
> > icons and not OOo? Quite easy: because OOo cannot cover all the
> > aspects of document usage. While OOo is a classic "fat" and complex
> > client application, user need also Web apps to view and edit files
> > (like Google Docs), fast and lightweight desktop applications (like
> [...]

To answer the title of this thread simply; the ODF Adoption Committee
at the OASIS consortium is trying to have everyone adopt the same
icons. I think we will succeed in doing this if every ODF stakeholder
plays even.

André does raise very legitimate concerns. I am not going to answer on
whether ODF has lost against OOXML. Network effects make it so that MS
Office is pushed on to people so they are unaware of what they are
actually doing and that is something we knew 2 years ago.

This being said, three things should be remembered:
- OOXML as an ISO standard has *no known implementation*, even inside
  MS Office; what this suite uses is a proprietary, undocumented format
  (although it must derive from the file format known as Ecma 376)
  called the same way. As an example, I suggest you take a look at the
  efforts on the OOXML filters for OOo. It's really difficult to come
  up with something, which shows how undocumented the spec is, or
  worse, how non compliant it is with its official version. But I
  digress...

- OOXML (whatever version you consider) will not be supported for ever
  by MS Office. In fact it might in effect stop to be supported... in
  MS Office 2010, precisely because Microsoft's biggest problem is that
  they have to play between the undocumented format, the Ecma 376, and
  the amendments of the OOXML ISO standard. Now they are trying to roll
  back changes they had done after the final ISO approval to the former
  version though stuffed ISO committees in order for them to be more or
  less compliant with the official specification. It's a big problem
  for them, so again: what file format are we talking about? Believe it
  or not, it will go away even if the notion will be floating around.
  Also, remember what they said about the MS Office 2003 file format.

- ODF's biggest challenge is its future. Right now MS and some of its
  associates have been imposing delays over delays at the OASIS ODF TC,
  under various (good and bad) reasons. If ODF gets out of it, then it
  will end up being the standard file format, by mandate rather than by
  market or network effects.

Best,
Charles.