On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 21:18 +0100, Volker Merschmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can give a short oversight with a limited knowledge of danish:
>
> The township of Lyngby-Taarbæk changed all 1700 school computers from
> M$ to OOoThey gave several reasons, including the saving of money.
> (AFAIR Leif Lodahl told us about that, just have a look at
> http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Lyngby-Taarb%C3%A6k+OpenOffice)
>
> The marketing guys of M$ filed an open letter where they took the
> reasons in doubt. i.e. they doubted that OOo is on the same technical
> level as M$-O,

Apart from the fact that OOo can do some things that MSO can't, there is
no need to get into that argument.

For public procurement what matters is can it do the job? There is no
reason to buy a top of the range Mercedes if an Opel does what you need
and usually public procurement rules state that you should get best
value in terms of satisfying need, not aspiration or envy.

>  told that the given sum of saved money will just been
> spent in other way and so on.

Yes, on teachers and more important educational resources :-)

What is really surprising is computer manufacturers putting MS Works on
new computers when it is less compatible with MS Office than OOo and
much less powerful. Ask the MS salesman why this happens when OOo is
obviously at a much higher technical level than Works and free.

> This is a form of pressure, yes.
>
> Maybe Leif can tell us more when he is back from Orvieto.
>
> Bye
>
> Volker
>
> 2009/11/7 Cor Nouws <oo...@nouenoff.nl>:
> > Hi *,
> >
> > Just saw this one
> > http://epn.dk/teknologi2/branchen/article1877255.ece
> > I cannot say 'read this one ;-)
> > I think it writes about pressure from Ms on a local administration, but
> > really am not sure.
> > Anyone able to gve a short summary?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Cor
> >

> > --
> > Cor Nouws
> >  - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
> >  - Community Contributor Representative in the Community Council
> > Gevoel niet vrij te zijn? Zie www.nieuwsteversie.nl

Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications
A new approach to assessment for learning
www.theINGOTs.org - 01827 305940