Hi Hamish, *

I'm CC'ing the disc...@ux list, because the discussion has been moved back there (the ODF icon i-team is present on this list).

Hamish Bell schrieb:
The whole argument around ODF icons is interesting and I have decided
to give my two cents worth :)

Thanks!

Different programs have their own way of displaying each icon that
that program is set as the default to open with. [...]

That allows the user to have an idea of what program will open when
s/he goes to open it.

If the ODF icon image was set, how can you enforce it so every program
compatible with ODF will display *that* icon?  [...]

I can't see any way you would be able to make one icon set for ODF -
or any file format - and have it enforced in every single program
around the world.

The idea behind it was to implement it in OOo and use it's market position to persuade others to follow.

There is no way to enforce any program to use these icons - but there are possibilities to reduce their skepticism:

The iconset could provide three areas:
- The ODF badge as constant visual element throughout all icons for all applications. - The document file symbol (lines for text, grid for spreadsheet etc.) to be used by all programs for the same file type. - An application symbol that shows the user what application is opening his/her file.

To improve the visual differentiation document file specific colors could be added to a certain part of the icons.

This would allow the applications to adopt the icons easier and integrate them in their desktops and raise the overall usage of the icons.

Unless someone can come up with a way of making that happen, then this
whole discussion seems pointless.

I don't think, it is pointless: Not only other applications (like IBM Symphony - Robert Weir replied on the ODF list) don't want to remove their symbols, relevant parts of the OOo community share this POV.

If we can provide icons that can get more support by other ODF supporting applications, our differences inside the project could be reduced too.

Best regards

Bernhard