Hi Christine,

Christine Louise Beems wrote on 2010-01-21 16.38:

Two things about this...

First of all: I'd like to join Bernhard with thanking you for your contributions. :-) Good to have you on board, and great to see you being involved!

First, I like Skype. It is easy to install and use and I have always
been given prompt professional responses to any questions.

I think it totally depends. Alexandro told me about some countries who have no reliable internet connection, and for them, Skype would be no option. Second, Skype doesn't work reliably in all cases -- my firewall is quite restrictive, and sometimes calls work, sometimes they don't work at all. Third, Skype conferences are IMHO limited to 5 or 10 people, and they heavily depend on the internet connectivity and machine power everybody has.

My favorite would be a combination of Skype, VoIP and PTSN systems, but that requires some work on our side.

Second, I personally find telephone conferences awkward. I seem
incapable to understand 'who is who' by simply listening to tone of
voice and this impedes my participation (which I know may not be a
problem for others). Also, in general I do not like the quality of VOIP
(or cell) services due to reliability and clarity issues. And, as this
entire conversation has illustrated, the technology currently available
to make group voice-conferencing easy is NOT readily available to 'the
masses' (due to prohibitive cost...), which of course is all the more
reason that 'we' must push this envelope <smile>.

I myself am curious to see how it works out on Monday with so many participants. I guess that such a large conference requires probably moderation and a structured agenda. Let's see how it works, and collect points for improvements - we then will see for which needs phone conferences fit, and for which other means of communication might be a better choice. I'm open to everything, the conferences are a first tryout.

At the same time, in terms of group communication processes that seem to
work well for large, widely dispersed participants, the most productive
'virtual' conferences I ever participated in were conducted during a
dedicated 48-72 hour time slot and happened via email.

This is also a very interesting approach, thanks for sharing it with us!

Let's see how the Monday conference will work, and then check what we can improve.

Looking forward to hearing all of you!

Florian