Hi all,

OOo branding is what I'm trying to improve, but working on that topic I stumbled across the MS Office branding page [1] that raises a quite important question for me:

During the last ten years we've been very successful in being as similar to MS Office as possible. We copied their features and their menus, used their icon colors and did everything to make it more easy to change from a certain MSO version to OOo than to their next version.

With the ribbon topic we started to change this as their implementation seemed to bring more negative than positive aspects.

Now I looked at the MSO 2010 icons [2] at their branding page and noticed that there are eleven (!) applications with different names and distinct program codes interacting with each other to a certain extent.

Our product starts as a single application being able to handle with many different file formats. Just like a good player for photos and videos and music it is not only able to open different files of the same type but different file formats.

What OpenOffice.org has done up to now is to copy the visual approach MS Office users are used to.

Do we still want this?

What should stand against these eleven icons?

We don't have different applications - as a little trick we just created links to the main application opening a dedicated file format, called them Writer or Calc and added an application icon to them.

In the past it was one of our main marketing strategies to be so compatible with MS Office that people would not even notice that they worked with OOo. Now it's different: OOo is well known all over the world. People decide to use OpenOffice.org - not a costless replacement for MSO they don't even know by name.

Would it be reasonable in this situation to change our marketing towards our "all-in-one" application instead of keeping on to copy MS Office colors and applications?

- OOo has never been so modular that installing parts of it would have saved a reasonable amount of disk space or memory (with every new generation of computers this point becomes less relevant).

- Interoperability between Writer, Calc and Impress/Draw has always been better than between Word, Excel and PowerPoint. We didn't use this topic in our marketing as prominent as we could.

- In other areas (players, browsers) file formats become less important. People know about the application to open their files, but don't mind if the file is a video, an image or a sound file. In contrary, they feel displeased if the player for their photos doesn't open the videos from their camera.

- MS Office icons cover a variety of colors from pink over different violet, blue and green tones to yellow and orange [2]. Even if their main apps kept the known colors, they are less distinct than previously. Additionally they are moving away from the four color logo to a single color logo (orange) [3]. Together with an improved interoperability they move away from their independent applications towards an overall suite - do we want to follow as we are already in front of them?

- People know OpenOffice.org, but are not really aware of Writer, Calc, Draw and Impress. If we want to be compatible with the single MS Office applications we would need to focus our marketing activities to avoid people saying "your Word application" or "your Excel".

I think it is more appropriate to tell our users that they don't need to focus on the file type: It's just OpenOffice.org that can be used for texts, tables, drawings, presentations and so on.

We moved away from the integrated application approach in the past towards MS Office's single apps to use their monopoly for us. It was easy to say "We are quite the same as Word, Excel and PowerPoint, but free".

Now I'd like to think about something like:

"We are the right application for all your office documents - our strengths are ... (standard open file format, integration, open source, extensions ...). And additionally you don't have to pay any license fees neither now nor in future. Just download, work and enjoy!"

I wouldn't even mention the names of the MS Office applications, because this would be free promotion for them...

If we would go this way, it should be based in our new strategic marketing plan.

What do you think - is this a reasonable way to go?

Best regards

Bernhard

[1]: http://blogs.technet.com/office2010/archive/2009/12/11/office-2010-visuals-and-branding.aspx [2]: http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/office2010/WindowsLiveWriter/Office2010VisualsandBranding_BEDE/ProductIcons_2.png [3]: http://blogs.technet.com/blogfiles/office2010/WindowsLiveWriter/Office2010VisualsandBranding_BEDE/OfficeBrand_compare_2.png