On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 08:55 +0100, Juergen Schmidt wrote:
> eWEEK’s Top 25 Technologies Of The Decade
>
>  From virtualisation to Linux to the Apple iPhone, eWEEK names the
> products, applications and technologies of the last decade that have
> changed the way we work, play and live ...
>
> 15. Openoffice.org
> Sure, if the bar for success is supplanting Microsoft Office, then
> Openoffice.org has been a failure. But if overall impact is considered,
> Openoffice.org has definitely been influential, especially when it comes
> to opening up document formats.

I don't know why supplanting MSO was ever considered the primary goal.
Personally, what I want is choice. If other people want to use MSO fine,
just don't force me to use it. The same applies to Windows. Linux has
made even less of a dent in that monopoly at the desktop than OOo BUT, I
can now run my company using pretty well entirely FOSS. I don't care if
most other people want to put up with viruses, spyware and machines that
slow to a crawl after a few months as long as they are not forcing me to
do it. I also think that having the masses self-excluding themselves
actually has quite a lot of benefits. When I get asked to fix problems
with Windows based computers I can just say I don't use Windows, sorry.

So I think on that basis OOo marketig slogans should be more along the
lines of

OOo, providing choice and community for the discerning user :-)

--
Ian
Ofqual Accredited IT Qualifications