I was recently pull in an article talking about Open Office is no
longer free. The article talks about Oracle new direction and it also
cross with another annoucement of Oracle kill of opensolaris project.

It seems the information is very contradictory but then again, I do
wonder what is the official push of oracle since they killed
StarOffice and then turn to Oracle Open Office which adds a lot of
confusion to the market now.

Most people use the term "Open Office"  when they really mean
OpenOffice.org, so turning a 'typo' into a commercial brand sounds
like a pretty low hit to the market. If you dont pronounce correctly
the .org then it means you are talking about a commercial brand now.
Similar to what Novell did with Go-Oo (does anyone actually say
that?).

This fragmentation of the brand could really break the marketing
efforts of the community. Branding should take notice about this treat
as opposed to trying to control the OpenOffice.org brand so much but
rather work with this forks to rebrand themselves into a less fuzzy
term of their name.

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/open-office/043540.html

--
Alexandro Colorado