FSF launched a statement about pushing free-only listing for OOo
extensions. They approach the community counsil and was rejected
according to a post on LWN.net. I want to express my support for FSF
since is a reasonable petition and also trivially done in drupal by
using categories.
http://lwn.net/Articles/386838/

>From the article, it ask for:
The FSF asked the OpenOffice.org Community Council to list only free
software extensions, or to provide a second independent listing which
only included free extensions, but they declined to change their
policy.

They didn't list the response from the CC, which I would much
interested in knowing about why did the Counsil didn't comply. If it
was a resources issue, or was it just that they didnt felt they want
to do it.

I would like to express that I want to support the free-only listing
in the extension webpage (not eliminate the non-free but label it as
non-free). And be able to offer a clear Free-only option on the left
side of the menu, next to Highest rated, Most Popular etc

Update:
I did some look up and found that maybe there was a missunderstanding
of sorts and that maybe FSF contradict itself by asking an alternative
listing and the wording about creating a different repository vs
creating a different listing.

"Extensions Repository

The Free Software Foundation (FSF) has notified the CC that the OOo
Extensions Repository does not conform to FSF principles, as it hosts
‘non-free’ software. As a result, any software distributions wishing
to conform to FSF standards should not make use of the OOo Repository.
The CC agreed that licence information could be improved on the
Repository, as this is an important factor people should consider when
choosing extensions. The FSF would be welcomed to help in providing
this sorting / filtering mechanism. However, the CC would not support
a forking or partitioning of the Repository to exclude ‘non-free’
extensions. OOo respects the right of its users to make their own
informed choice of software, and believes this is best achieved by a
single Repository offering a full selection of extensions. "

I guess this is just a bad PR move, on the wording from both parties.
A proposal could have been more clear on how to go about it. But just
saying that "licensing could be improved" sound like passive
observation rather than something to look into.

--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Español