Hi Chaps,

I apolagise in advance if I have missed some essential past discussion on
my following topic. From past experience on the mailing list, my topic has
been a recurring one. Forgive me if I am flogging a dead horse - or if I am
re-hashing a settled issue. Please post a link if I missed it.

I have just returned to working with Maven after being buried in other work
for the past few months, and I have to say I am dismayed that there is
still no stable release  - and at the same time there is talk of maven-new,
wiki/xdoc integration, a new POM and a host of other features.

Now, of all the discussions I have had with *anyone* about maven, I have
never yet had a discussion where someone says to me "Yes, I really like
maven but there are not enough features for me". Maven is brimming with
features! However, the recurring feedback I get is "when is that project
ever going to stabilise enough so I can use it?"

I am starting to sympathise with their concerns. We are still putting up
with a patched (but broken) B7 - every time we have tried to move to a new
release there have been some show-stopping problems (site generation was
broken in B8, there was some other problem with B9 which sorry, I dont
remember what it was - it was also raised by others on the mailing list).

Maven is an excellent tool. The amount of effort that has gone into it is
impressive. Whats more it has a huge amount of potential. None of which I
see being negatively impacted by a stable release based on current
functionality.

Maybe I am way off base, but I really think that the lack of a maintained
release  is starting to turn people away. Call it B10, call it v1.0 -
whatever - I think that most users (myself included) would just like to
download something like V1.0_07 and have it just... work!

Perhaps posting this sort of thing on an OSS mailing list is looking a gift
horse in the mouth - but believe me, my aim is not to whinge - I just want
an easier job selling Maven in my Corp and to others. Whats more I am
prepared to help - if I could just find out whats holding us back from
releasing...

Cheers,
Nick

Extranet